Hello from New Orleans

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Domo

Hello from New Orleans

Post by Domo »

Hey guys I will be down vacationing and fishin SGI June 20-25. While I am not new to fishin or yakin' this will be my first time fishin FL. We will be staying in the state park for our trip. My girlfriend and I will be fishin bayside from our Ultimate 12's. Any tips for SGI would be great and if any one would want to meet up and fish that would be even better.
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Hello from New Orleans

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Welcome Domo! You will be sitting right on top of some of the best fishing around. There are a number of good places to go without ever leaving SGI. Look under the 'salt water fishing reports' section for references to SGI. You will also be close to East Point, Lanark, Carrabelle, etc. to the East and St. Joseph's Bay to the West. Also check the 'launches' section of the site. If you want to fish over towards St. Marks while you are here, I will be happy to show you some of my favorite spots. FBB.
Domo

Post by Domo »

Thanks for offering to show us around st marks. How far is St Marks from SGI? When it gets close to our trip I'll send ya a pm.
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

About an hour. Its a very scenic drive through some great fishing areas.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

You have some fantastic fishing right there in the park. Check out the Rattlesnake Cove launch. Its a youth camp boat ramp and fish east of the oyster bars on that big long flat.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

You have an amazing fishery in Louisiana. If you keep a Louisiana limit of redfish(5) and trout(25) in Florida, the fines would be rather stiff. Be sure to check the Florida size and creel limits before you go fishing.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
Domo

Post by Domo »

First, let me say thanks for all the replies to my first post.

Now, I have a couple of more questions. First, my girlfriend lives flounder so I was hoping to do some flounder giging, would it be better on the gulf side or the shallows of the bay side? Second, surf fishin at night off the beach. My understanding is the best bait for sharks would be cut bait (ex mullet/croaker) but what would be best for reds/specks? Third, how bout fishin the bay side at night? Last, if I bring 1 or 2 crab traps with me would I need an additional lic. on top of the normal non resident saltwater lic.?

Thanks for any help guys