Solitary YakFishin'

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

rjcataniajr

Solitary YakFishin'

Post by rjcataniajr »

Hello everyone,
Getting ready to venture into new territories. YakFishin'
A couple of questions. One, are there people who go fishing by themselves or is it more of a buddy system, safety wise. Two, I am from the Leesburg area and as far as I know there isn't a club or people I know who are into kayak fishing. I live in The Villages and there are fishing clubs, kayak clubs, but no kayak fishing clubs so I am kind of on my own until I find other people with the same interest. I have been fishing in Homassa and Crystal River so I know a little about those areas. I still am looking to purchasing a yak and I am just getting my ducks lined up.
Thanks in advance with your comments,
Russ
hammy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Solitary YakFishin'

Post by hammy »

I tend to prefer to go with someone but as long as you have your safety gear, someone knows where your headed and when you expect to return, you should be good. You may want to check with some local outfitters to see if they know of any clubs or groups. Crystal River has quite a few outfitters. Does ALS Landing/World's Worst Deli in Tavares still rent yaks at the "beach club?"

I found this looking around the web:
http://www.flakayak.com/fishing/

Never done much coastal fishing around there but I get down to the Leesburg area fairly often.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

i would definitely recommend fishing with a partner most of the time, and especially during your first couple of outings.
be safe, have fun, and let us know how you do.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Try to fish with a friend, wear your PFD always, and there are folks in Gainesville and also look at http://paddle-fishing.com/
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

I solo fish about 90% of the time, however, I usually fish at places that are frequented by people, strangers, but people nonetheless and I fish within sight of my truck. The second part to consider is where is your truck, 10 miles down an unpaved road? not a good idea. Solo fishing requires rules and you have to stick to them no matter what.
Someone knows where you are,Wear a PFD, have your phone in a waterproof case, launch/paddle into the wind to start, I do not cross the intracoastal, first storm breeze I am heading back(Jeff and Liam spent 2 hours under a dock in a lightening storm last weekend, imagine doing it by yourself), I don't usually land dangerous fish (catfish, sharks, stingrays, Mackeral, blues).
It is a very rewarding and often peaceful experience but you are entering nature on nature's terms and she bites and thinks it is funny.

Also roll over your loaded for a trip kayak/canoe on purpose, then see what it takes to get it right side up and recover everything, I guarantee it is twice as hard to do as you think it is but you decide real quick what is worth saving and what can be replaced.