St. George Island Fishing Tips?

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

mx5atlantafan

Re: St. George Island Fishing Tips?

Post by mx5atlantafan »

End of Day 2:

I picked up two Rapala skitter walks. Hot pink/silver, and the blue/orange bleeding mullet type. Can someone explain how to use these lures? Is it a simply cast and retrieve or is there a special technique/times to throw them? They float so are they only top water lures? Sorry for all the newbie questions I never use lures!

Island outfitters had mostly MirroLure's and generic stuff. I'm happy with the four I bought today though. Another berkley brown/bone colored similiar to the rapala style, and a Rapala big boy popper. Caught a few sharks and some grunts today off shrimp and cut bait. Threw my lures to no avail today, all day. :/

Most of the people by the cut were getting hits and landing some reds and trout with live minnows. I think I'm gunna grab some tomorrow from a bait shop. I'm failing to catch any with the cast net.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Mx5af, you can edit your duplicated post and remove all of text. This will mostly clean them up until the moderator sees it.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
mx5atlantafan

Post by mx5atlantafan »

End of Day 2:

I picked up two Rapala skitter walks. Hot pink/silver, and the blue/orange bleeding mullet type. Can someone explain how to use these lures? Is it a simply cast and retrieve or is there a special technique/times to throw them? They float so are they supposed to be jigged across the water? Sorry for all the newbie questions I never use lures!

Island outfitters had mostly MirroLure's and generic stuff. I'm happy with the four I bought today though. Another berkley brown/bone colored similar to the rapala style, and a Rapala big boy popper. Caught a few sharks and some grunts today off shrimp and cut bait. Threw my lures to no avail today, all day. :/

Most of the people by the cut were getting hits and landing some reds and trout with live minnows. I think I'm gunna grab some tomorrow from a bait shop. I'm failing to catch any with the cast net.

*Edit* Simple google search gave me this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eEUO9pizgA
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Yep, you need to walk the dog as for the ripping this lure not much need around here. Remember you need a rhythm (cadence) and slack line after every jerk/yank/tug.

The more wind and wave the more you need to jerk and maybe move to a louder lure (shake and listen.) One main difference in all topwater dog is the frequency of the rattle (size and number of BBs.) The One Knocker (technically freshwater) has a single larger BB for more lower frequency thump.

If you've never walked the dog start with the saltwater size Skitterwalk, it is fairly easy to get started. You should be able to make it really swing side to side.

A popular cadence is "Mary had a little lamb.." Jerk on "mary" "had" "little" and "lamb then pause when the song pauses. Often the strikes will happen on pause or first twitch after pause. Watch and listen - if you hear a sound you din't create or see a little swirl you didn't make. Freeze. wait at least two seconds and then change to a smaller cadence set. for instance twitch and pause or twitch twitch pause.

Often a predator will come back several time and may even come back. Recast to same area if you miss a hookset. However once the fish gets tugged on (weak hookset whatever) it is less lilely to come right back.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Tie a big barrel swivel (no snaps) to the end of your line. Tie about 2.5 feet of 25 lb flourocarbon to that and then a 2/0 circle hook to that. Get some 2inch chunks of mullet, cast it in the Cut perpendicular to (across)the current (rising or falling it does not matter) and let it drift down until it comes around with the current, reel in and repeat. I recommend you use light drag to start and keep the rod in your hands. Bull Red! Send us a picture.

Otherwise you cant get better advice then you have had for casting and retrieving.
mx5atlantafan

Post by mx5atlantafan »

Day 4 & 5:

Finally some nice results. A couple Kayakers I talked to at the cut gave me a nice spot that they launch from on the bay side in the plantation off Dove Lane Road. Was able to catch plenty of shiners with my cast net from there. Strange though nothing was hitting the live bait like I anticipated so I switched to lures. Did a lot of surf fishing with the family, caught plenty of sharks, cats, and whiting. We fried the whiting and shark up and they were tasty. This morning I hit the cut about 7:30 and caught a nice 19'' speckled trout. I used a fake shrimp maneuvered over a red jig head and was just bouncing it off the bottom for about 45 minutes. Also caught lady fish and several smaller grunts off the same thing. I've seen people catch some pretty nice flounder but I have yet to bag one myself. Fishing in the surf with my top water skitter walk gave me a lady fish as well (there was some action in a school of fish with birds diving in.. ect .. and I just tossed the lure right in and nailed one).

Still after a redfish though, we'll see if I can pull one in tonight..

Here are a couple shots of the trout and of my little brother's shark(he just started fishing this year lol). The trout is filleted and in the fridge for lunch.

Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I might be able to squeeze in a SGI trip on Saturday. I still am not sure exactly it will be last minute call. I'll pm my cell number and if it works out we can try to find that redfish you're after.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Launch at 12th street and fish by the airport.