difference between sit in and sit on

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

fishingfanatic

difference between sit in and sit on

Post by fishingfanatic »

currently looking for a kayak and wanting to know if you guys have a preference between sit in and sit on. is there a difference in comfortablity or convenience? also if anyone is looking to sell one or know where to get a quality used kayak that information would be greatly appreciated
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: difference between sit in and sit on

Post by cotton »

Hey Fanatic, I don't believe many of the regulars on this site use a sit inside. There are to many advantages to using a sit on top in Florida. Rarely is it cold enough to worry about getting a little wet. Sit on tops generally offer easier access to your storage(milk crate holder) and you sit about 6 inches higher in the water. 6 inches(Watch out for immature humor) doesn't sound like a lot but it really helps when fishing.

Hopefully someone more experienced will offer you some more reasons we use sit on tops.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

I used to putter around in a little red Perception sit-in until I got fancy and got a great Hobie Quest (sit-on-top) previously loved by dakidd. That's when i started really enjoying fishing out of a kayak. Before then, I just used the sit-in to get from shore to oyster bar, and to lose rods and reels out of my MacGuyvered pvc rodholder contraption thingy. :lol:

That's my very limited comparison. I did enjoy trying the hybrid Wilderness Commander.
fishingfanatic

Post by fishingfanatic »

Thanks guys, looks like i'll be getting a sit on kayak.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Unless you plan on hitting the river rapids, the s.o.t. Is the correct call.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

I have a sit in, Pelican 115. I had canvas kayaks as a kid and when I bought this 7 years ago I was reaching back to my childhood. It has been a good boat and I have enjoyed it, but unless you know the tippping points and have experience with them they will bite you. I also fish by myself alot and it only weighs 45 pounds so I can pu tit on my shoulder and walk with it for a half mile if need be.

I would recommend a sit on. However, ask yourself if you plan to fish alone or with someone. Many of the Sit ons are very heavy and awkward to move by yourself, so see if you can carry it, or if it comes with wheels, (no pvc frames).

My next one will be a sit on. If you can afford one with pedals even better.
fishingfanatic

Post by fishingfanatic »

thank you very much guys. this gives me a bit more to consider.