How to decide

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

How to decide

Post by BackCast »

I'm about to have to make a decision. We'll be headed to Cape San Blas in a couple days and had intended to take the kayaks, but with the 10 day weather forecast calling for highs in the upper 50s and lower 60 I'm wondering if it is really worthwhile. Hauling a 14' kayak nearly 2,000 miles over potentially ice and snow covered roads isn't a lot of fun. Besides that, having them on the truck makes access to anything in the bed difficult. I remember taking them last year only to use them for a total of about 3 hours, yet having to crawl under the truck cover just to get to my golf clubs.

So anyway, at what point do you draw the line? How cold can it be and still be fun? In addition to that, how many of you just kayak for fun without fishing? I can generally catch at least a few fish in the St. Joe Bay and the intercoastal but the winter certainly isn't the prime time for fishing the bay. I'm not really asking if I should kayak or not, just wondering at what point others trade in the kayak for a cup of coffee and Irish Cream.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: How to decide

Post by Shorewalker »

I'm planning on fishing a couple of days over the break. Granted the haul will be a lot shorter, the roads will be lot cleaner, and my trailer is pretty spacious. The most important things are to stay safe and enjoy the company over the break.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

We catch hundreds of redfish when it's in the teens. You decide. And you need the right gear and a buddy.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
hammy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by hammy »

I think the words of wisdom that I hear repeated are, "Fish when you can."
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Thanks for the replies. The revised weather forecast is looking better this morning with predicted highs in the mid to upper 60s. I'm going to load them up later today. Might even construct some kind of storage brackets at the condo so I can leave them at the Cape from fall through spring.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Any morning temp that starts with a 3 or lower, and any high that doesn't start with a 7 or higher; or basically Thanksgiving to the first weekend of Mar. But that is because I dont like being wet cold, there are plenty of fish to had during that time.

Travelling with yaks is always a pain, I forgot I had mine last time and backed into the garbage cans and broke the rudder pin. :lol:

Have a safe trip!
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

So you are good fishing with a low of 3° and a high of 7°. Attaboy BI, I usually stay in when it is below freezing. :lol:
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

And I wasn't even drinking yet when I wrote that. :D
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Things didn't exactly turn out as planned. I only managed to kayak twice and didn't fish either time. Oh well, I'll be back in March. In the meantime the kayaks will remain in the garage. Even suber isn't tough enough to kayak in the weather we're having here, at least not without ice cleats on his paddles....
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyho ... ginIndex=6