Looking for rod & reel..what do y'all recommend?

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Jorge

Post by Jorge »

For fishing the flats in and around the Apalachee Bay area? Don't want to spend a fortune but something better than the Papil's pocket fisherman. I'm new to the flats scene, done most of my fishing in deep water back in South Fla. Any and all help appreciated, Gracias!
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Looking for rod & reel..what do y'all recommend?

Post by bk »

For kayak fishing?
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Yes, for Kayak fishing. Need to know sizes, line capacity, etc. Thanks!
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

Budget?
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

I am terribly hard on tackle, so I prefer rods with a lifetime( or really good ) warrantee. Shimano and gloomis have lifetime. St croix has a 5 year. Star and falcon rods may also have one, just not sure. You can spend $80 on up. Shimano clarus gets you a lot of bang for your buck for around $80. For a little over a hundred you can get into some st croix, star, and higher end shimano rods. I like 7-7 1/2 feet med power fast action. For reels you can get a good saltwater reel for a little over a hundred on up. I prefer 4000 series , but I think a lot of folks like the 2500 or 3000. Give us an idea of your budget and we can probably help narrow down your search. Good luck
You should have been here yesterday
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

"Over the counter" guarantees on rods have served me well in the past.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Stradic 3000 reels and Shimano Teramar 7' to 8' medium lite to medium action rods. Been using them for over ten years. Of course ten years ago they only had the 2500 but I still use those too. If you get to where you think you have worn them out replace the bearings (just three) with no a bearings (I prefer the ceramics) and your back better than new.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I'll second Jeff's suggestions. Remember that your rods and reels are closer the water and will get more of a beating in a kayak. Buy a spray tip for your hose that includes a "mist" setting and was off the reel and rod with emphasis to the line guides and reel seat. You want to dissolve the salt away but leave the grease/oil on the bearings.

I like Jeff use Shimano Stradics in 3000 (older 2500 and 4000) as well. I have a mixture of Shimano, old All star, and Redbone rods. I would probably just buy Shimano or maybe G Loomis if I had to buy now. 6'6" to 8' length in Medium action. I have use Powerpro and now PowerPro Super Slick in 15 to 20 lb with a 30" 20 lb leader. I find that the Power Pro Super Slick is less prone to wind knots but that may just be the heavier lures I use on those rods.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9