"The Rainbow pond" Details

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

"The Rainbow pond" Details

Post by abcarias »

I have had a number of people on the board ask about "the Rainbow pond". I would prefer catching puppy reds on a fly like BF :P but knowing the weather will be warming soon, I prefer to practice my fly fishing skills close to home for now. The pond will close mid March and by that time I will be on the salt again each week.

For those of you that are just getting started with Fly fishing or feel you could improve your fly casting, fighting fish on a fly rod (stripping line and getting big fish"on the reel"), locating fish at various depths, etc. "the Rainbow pond" is a great place to experience success. BF makes a good point, catching reds on a fly is more challenging, but I dont recall seeing many pics/posts on this site of reds on a fly either (I may be wrong). But I can tell you I've never been skunked when I go to "the rainbow pond" and I usually catch fish in the 3 to 5 lb range. This one was a bit more.

Below I have enclosed the information about the pond. This is "The Pond" opening letter sent out each November from the person that owns the property. I hope you give it a try! If you need a guide, let me know :wink:

Regards, Steve

HIAMONEE PLANTATION
13426 Meridian Road North • Tallahassee, Florida 32312
(850) 893-7772 • galtandfrancine@embarqmail.com

November 16, 2010

Dear Fellow Fly Fisher:
Terry Bramlett brings the first load of 400 lbs. of trout Friday November the 19th. The second load of 400 lbs will come in on December 17th. We will be opening for fishing Saturday November 20th. Again it is a mix of very large Triploid Kamloops and regular Kamloops Rainbow Trout.
The rules will remain the same  Fly fishing only with barbless hooks. Because we have some exceptionally large fish, please do not use a rod smaller than 4 wt. The bigger fish are too difficult to land quickly with a light rod and release with chance for their survival. Use as heavy a tippet as you feel you can get by with. Initially that will not be a problem but as the season progresses and the fish have been caught and released several times, they do get leader shy. Long shank hooked flies are easier to remove from fish without harming them. If you can possibly help it do not lift the fish out of the water if you plan to release it. A trout out of water for thirty seconds will die for certain no matter how quickly it swims off. Even with the best of care, some of the bigger fish will die so I am going to ask again if you are going to keep a fish, please just keep one. The majority of the fish will be big enough to feed two hungry people and four not-so-hungry people. If you have a bleeding fish, kill it and eat it  even if you have already kept a fish. Also if a fish does not appear to quickly revive then keep it, kill it, and eat it. The first year we did this we had a lot of dead fish from poor catch and release. Each succeeding year we have had fewer and fewer dead fish as everyone becomes more adept at careful release.
There will be a sign-out notebook in the mailbox on the dock as before. Please sign out and make any remarks pro or con. I enjoy reading them. The fish are costing considerably more than they did in the past but so far I am not going to change the fishing cost. Leave a check for $25.00 to Galt Allee in the box  (but cash will not be refused either). There are no bathroom facilities but there are some fair-sized trees in the woods to hide behind. Please carry out your trash.
Please try to call if you can before you come. The gate on the road opens when you approach 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. If you want to help with the draining of the pond in the spring let me know. You can call 850-893-7772 or write to our address or e-mail my wife, Francine, at galtandfrancine@embarqmail.com

Tight lines,
Galt

Galt Allee
Last edited by abcarias on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
><}}}> BeanBagSteve <{{{><
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Dont tell BF

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Cool!
Feel Free Kayaks Pro Staff
IS2K1
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: "The Rainbow pond" Details

Post by IS2K1 »

Wow... trout fishing in FL. Apparently the water stays cold enough during those months for the fish to stay alive.

Is this open to anyone who will pay the $25 ?
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

Yes it is open to the pubic but has rules on a white sign as you walk in.

Also, you may be asked to wear a bra under your fly fishing vest 8O.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

can you put a yak in? thinking kayak wars points. if not, maybe i'll just bring the yak and sit in while its sitting on the grass. :lol:
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

Sorry...no boats allowed but Ill bet BF would love to see the pic :mrgreen:
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

Saw more than a few fckaaaaayers at the rainbow pond today. Looked like everyone caught at least one. Hope you enjoyed it!
marlindoc
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by marlindoc »

Steve,

Yes there are some "Hogs" out there. I good day out there last week. Thanks for the report.