Lake Jackson 6/13/2015

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Bogey
Baitor
Baitor

Lake Jackson 6/13/2015

Post by Bogey »

Lake Jackson.jpg
Got out in the kayak this afternoon for the first time since last April. No one told me that fishing is one the casualties of having three kids, but I have learned the lesson the hard way. Finally volleyball/soccer/baseball/softball season is over and I can get a Saturday free.

Anyway, tried to reacquaint myself with Lake Jackson. Spent three hours at the lake, until dark, and got just one puny strike at a frog being dragged through the lilly pads. I was surprised by how much I got blown around by what seemed, at the landing, to be light wind. And, wow, what a lot of vegetation has grown in there!

I see there have only been a handful of freshwater reports this year. Has everyone gone to the coast? Or, is no one talking? Something I should know about the local freshwater scene?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Lake Jackson 6/13/2015

Post by WannaDoDat »

Glad you could find time to get out after all the sports/parenting duties, Bogey!

I love fishing freshwater. Jackson is ever-changing with the seasons and time of day. Right now I'm having good luck in the pads throwing a big worm or paddletail and hopping, popping, pulling it through and around the holes. I have better hook ups with these plastics than I do with hollow bodied frogs. They are also more versatile for open water or a mixture of grass/pads. Also dropping these baits down into holes in the coontail out in the open water right now can be good. Or swim or rip these right down a boat trail.
I'm not proficient at flip and punching, but the thick mats are where they also get out of the sun and feed.

A fun place to experiment!

Jean
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Keep at it bogey. Fresh has been hit or miss. A dozen bass one day at Carr a week ago, followed by a skunk the next day at PZ. The fish are boiling, I believe. The bream bite on the fly has been solid tho.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

My last few trips to Jackson have very been slow...some topwater blowups on frogs & worms, but they were few and far between. Jackson was much better for me in March and early April.
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

I ride out to Jackson on my bike a few evenings a week. They say the bite hasn't been great lately. Id suggest glow bugs on the flyrod right before and after dark. They have never failed me on Jackson. I heard a rumor someone caught a tarpon out of a yak today?
><}}}> BeanBagSteve <{{{><
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

abcarias wrote:I ride out to Jackson on my bike a few evenings a week. They say the bite hasn't been great lately. Id suggest glow bugs on the flyrod right before and after dark. They have never failed me on Jackson. I heard a rumor someone caught a tarpon out of a yak today?
Usually best to start a new paragraph, Steve. You'll have rumors flying that tarpon have invaded Jackson and are hanging out with the bass n' bream for summer camp! :lol:

Jean
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

I was trying to be obscure (or something like that?). Didn't want to piss off your boss :mrgreen:
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

bk wrote:The bream bite on the fly has been solid tho.
You're killing me here. I've fished for most species of freshwater fish in the US (and a good number of salt water ones too) but fly fishing for panfish is my absolute favorite. My dad started my addiction way back in the 60s when the water on Lake Okeechobee would be too rough to bass fish so he would take me to the local canals and, later on, to the Caloosahatchee River to fly fish. Here I am, 63 years old, and I still haven't recovered or found anything better. Between Bogey's picture of the pads, and your mention of bream on a fly, my hands are starting to twitch already.
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

Seriously, glow bug fly-fishing at sunset(probably on any waters around here) on Jackson is productive. You will also catch bass. All you have to do is cast it out there and let it sit for 30 seconds. Then a slight twitch....if no takers...pick it up and repeat. Of course you need to have good line management skills in the dark, a 360 degree light source and a headlight. I like Kevin's Buggle bug poppers at 3 bucks a piece. I use a 3wt but there are usually a few bass involved and sometimes you cant stop them from getting in the grass mats with a 3 ;-(