Saltwater fly fishing newbie

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

dkent53

Saltwater fly fishing newbie

Post by dkent53 »

See that Orvis has an introductory reel rod combo with line and backing for saltwater
9 foot rod 9 weight and 9 line for $325, does that sound like a good beginner combination to start salt water fishing out of a kayak?
I'm not retired, just tired!
Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

Re: Saltwater fly fishing newbie

Post by Moore Lyon and Quick »

Haven't used any Orvis gear, but they have a pretty good reputation. I would consider dropping down to an 8wt - that's a good all around fly rod for around here. You can probably spend a little more money and and get a better setup, especially if you do ebay (Lamson Guru $170.00 on sale, TFO Professional rod $160.00, Airflo or Wulff Bermuda line,$35.00 to $50.00 on ebay). However, if you're buying from a local shop, I would do that rather than the online route, since they will know local conditions more and should provide more guidance
Roadmobile

Post by Roadmobile »

There is a local fly club as well. You can check us out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FloridaBigBendFlyFishers. Bob, the president runs a shop out of his home. He is very knowledgeable and has (or can get) just about anything you would want. His website with contact information is https://wilkinsonflyfishing.com/.

Good luck and tight lines!
Wilderness Commander
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Stop by my shop and I'll get you set up. I carry Lamson reels and can set you up with a quality Clutch rod. Free backing with purchase of reel.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee