Pinhook River questions (and typical rant)

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Pinhook River questions (and typical rant)

Post by BloodyChamp »

Figured I should check in first :mrgreen: I'm happy with my fishing so far, and we have lots of time left! I've caught some nice bass and bream, and I think I'm really on to something with my freahwater mullet fishing! I've caught some 3 times in a row, and the last time I could have caught 100. I don't know what the deal was but they were in a zone. They were ramming each other out of the way with their heads to get to my hook. I quit at 5. Yes that's a ways away from 100 but here's what happened - I struggled to catch 2 passer byers then all of a sudden a billion swarmed in from nowhere, and it wasn't with the tide. I caught the 3 more in a row and decided I wasn't going to rob the place all in 1 day.

So fast forward to now and all the water is jet black so the mullet are getting a break lol! I have my Gheenoe and Mercury 3.3 now if you remember, and I'm thinking Pinhook while everything is high and black. I figure I can't get stuck anywhere or destroy something on a rock like this (and if I can I don't go fast enough to lol).

I was headed there today but the rain came. When it cleared up I decided to go check out the creek that goes to the West Cutoff and make a short day out of it. Being grumpy about the rain I fooled around and forgot the paddle so I had to turn around alot sooner than I wanted just in case there was a problem. I made it to the tree that somebody was motivated to go all the way in there and saw up so that it was no longer blocking anything. That leads me to believe that that's easier than paddling or motoring lightly out of the main river to the West Cutoff...???

So when I get to the West Cutoff either way then what? The coastline looks alot shorter, but if I have 1 fear in life it's getting roughed up on the flats/ocean. I've never done the flats alone and I'm nervous at how people fly in and out of the Aucilla around all those rocks! The creeks are obviously the next option but that just looks like to much to do in a 14 hour day, let alone and 8 hour one. On the maps it's turn after turn after fork etc. So...how long does it take to get there each way involving the West Cutoff? I know you can also skip the cutoff and go straight on out but...no lol! As I yammer on let me mention that I haven't forgot how to paddle and the Gheenoe is easy to paddle. I'd just like to remain safe even if it means doing a little more work, and not get caught in the dark on the way back.