A little help please!

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

A little help please!

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

My Father was really big into fly fishing. Robbie and Tom go all the time. So when my Brother gave me a nice 9' 6wt outfit I thought I would give the fly rod thing a whirl. Here's the deal. After hours of practice, every single cast, my one knocker hits me in the back of the head. Am I doing something wrong?
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: A little help please!

Post by H_luciae »

You are not keeping the rod tip going in a straight line. Start practicing doing side-arm and lay the line down each time (forward/backward) till you can keep it straight. Then slowly raise the casting stroke while watching what the line is doing. Keep going until you reach the upward "tilt". But the best thing that I tell everyone no matter what their skill level- take a casting class. It is worth the 3-4 hours and will point out areas where you can improve and what you may be doing wrong. The goal is to be able to cast well, catch fish and have fun- not be frustrated!
Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Baja Bob »

Your problem is the One Knocker is to big for your 6wt setup. You need to switch to a Spook Jr. or a 9wt.
Stick with what you know 😜
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1519.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Tie that One Knocker to the end of your paddle, Billy. Then when you cast it hunch your shoulders and lower your head. Don't forget the follow through.

:mrgreen:
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Nice! :lol:
Quite a few stories about how "One Knocker" got its name.
I'm sure I've heard most of them from you. Every one is a gem. :P

You just keep on throwing that bad boy with the fly rod if you want to, Billy. The soft spot on the back of your head now matches the one on your heart.