Blue Crabs. What can you tell me about 'em?

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Blue Crabs. What can you tell me about 'em?

Post by BackCast »

My son has left his crab trap at our place at Cape San Blas for about the past 10 years. Every year I move it to sweep and put it back until the next carport sweeping comes along. We've played with it a little (catch and release) but I never really tried to trap enough crabs for a meal. I thought maybe I'd give that a shot during our next trip but realized I know very little about crab trapping. That's where you all come in.

I know that I need a permanent name tag, a minimum 6" float with an R painted on it, and to release females with egg sacks. And I know that I can bait it with about any meat like a chicken neck, fish carcass, etc. I've read the state's regs but other than that, I know nothing. Am I more likely to catch crabs in the gulf or in the bay? Any type of structure or bottom I should be looking for? Are they really as simple to fix as dropping live crabs in a kettle of boiling water with Zatarains or Old Bay? Am I correct that they're primarily nocturnal so I should leave the trap set overnight?

I plan to do some fishing and scalloping in the bay so it should be easy to set a trap and check it daily. Any advice you can offer is appreciated.
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Blue Crabs. What can you tell me about 'em?

Post by fishinbug »

All of my blue crab experience involves chicken necks tied to a string and a long handled dip net. If there is a bridge or dock handy I used a folding cage type trap along with the chicken necks and nets. The bayous along 30A around Indian Pass have been productive. If the crabs are around you can catch a bunch in a short time. Old Bay and boiling water is hard to beat for cooking blue crabs.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Blue Crabs. What can you tell me about 'em?

Post by BackCast »

Thanks. That's only about 15 minutes from the house. Those bayous look like creeks when the tide is in and I've actually thought about launching the kayak and casting for redfish there. I've no idea of they would go back through the filter of grass to get there but figured it might be worth a try. I just don't want to be there when the tide goes out. It might be time for some exploring.

Some of what I've read suggested small creeks and moving water. I imagine those bayou/creeks might have that same effect as the tide creates a current through them.