Big Spring Creek - 5-19-2018

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Big Spring Creek - 5-19-2018

Post by SRAces »

Met Ed, Brain and Bill (Fishbait Billy) Saturday morning at 6:15am. It was great to see Bill getting out on the water again to kayak fish. The forecast called for 5-6 mph winds and mostly cloudy. It was mostly blue skies, warm and 1-3 mph winds. The fishing conditions were great! :wink:

Everyone caught decent fish. Not sure what Bill caught as he left late morning as I am sure he was getting tired. I know he caught quite a few fish. Brian ended up with 1 huge ladyfish, 2 cobia, 1 bluefish, a half dozen or more trout, and a bunch of catfish. He was the catfish king on that day...lol!

Ed had a productive day with some nice sized fish. He ended up with 9 trout (2 over 20 inches), 2 reds (25 and 27 inches), 1 bluefish, 1 black sea bass and 2 catfish. I had a productive day with 19 trout, 2 nice reds, 1 ladyfish and 4 huge sailcats.

Just a fun day on the water with some good friends. :D

SC_5-19_1.png
SC_5-19_2.png
SC_5-19_3.png
SC_5-19_4.png
SC_5-19_5.png
SC_5-19_6.png
SC_5-19_7.png
SC_5-19_9.png
SC_5-19_10.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Big Spring Creek - 5-19-2018

Post by salty gator »

That’s great, thanks for the report. Guessing that isn’t the spring creek opening to oyster bay?? There are probably many spring creeks
You should have been here yesterday
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

salty gator wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 am That’s great, thanks for the report. Guessing that isn’t the spring creek opening to oyster bay?? There are probably many spring creeks
That's why I called it "Big Spring Creek" as I knew some folks might get it confused with the Oyster Bay one. This creek is between the Fenholloway River and Spring Warrior Creek. :wink:
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

Nice report Steve. It was great having FBB back on the water. He only fished a couple of hours, but I know he caught a bunch of trout in the creek heading out, and a nice red. That 27 inch red I got was a blast. The water was slick as glass, and Brian and I saw a pod of big reds moving slowly towards us. They were tailing and tearing up bottom. We both waited until the school got within casting range and then threw at them. My Rip n Slash barely hit the water before Mr. Red had it. Brian hooked up immediately as well. He lost his, but mine towed me around for about 8 minutes. Every time I got him close he peeled off the drag again. Brian actually asked if I needed help landing him, but with sore wrists I eventually I got him to the measuring board, and then he swam away to rejoin his buddies.
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

SRAces wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 am
salty gator wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 am That’s great, thanks for the report. Guessing that isn’t the spring creek opening to oyster bay?? There are probably many spring creeks
That's why I called it "Big Spring Creek" as I knew some folks might get it confused with the Oyster Bay one. This creek is between the Fenholloway River and Spring Warrior Creek. :wink:
Somehow the missed the “big”,,, not sure how, plain as day... thanks
You should have been here yesterday
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Thanks for the invite, Guys. I had a blast! It was good to catch some nice fish but the best part for me was just floating along and watching the guys haul them in. I appreciate the help launching my kayak and getting to enjoy the best few hours I have had in a very long time. Thanks again Steve, Ed and Brian!
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Great to see Billy back .Thanks for the report.
jeeper50
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by jeeper50 »

From all of us up here in the Atlanta metro area, it is fantastic to hear FBB was back in the kayak and had a good time!!! Glad to hear your doing well and we all hope to fish with you again soon!
file photo LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'15 Hobie Revo 13
'16 Hobie Outback

In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king!
Transplanted Texan

'53 Willys CJ3B
'00 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

Looks like you guys had a blast. I'm envious! I knew I felt a tremor in the force this past weekend, it must've been the Master Jedi of fishing Bill returning to the water.
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary
zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by zeke392 »

Thanks for the report Steve and it's good to see Billy back on the water
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

One hell of a day
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’ve heard of this place, the springs, etc but it’s not a place I hear people talking about all the time like other places. It seems like the winter Red and Trout fishing here would be almost just to easy. Meanwhile it seems like there would be freshwater fish in the spring and summer, and mullet all the time. Somebody I know posted pics on FB today and I remembered this thread.