Mexico Beach

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Mexico Beach

Post by zeke392 »

Has anybody here fished off of Mexico Beach any? We'll be on vacation again next week staying right on the Beach. We'll have a couple Hobie's with us and will be trolling cigar minnows each morning. Toward Port St Joe there are a couple towers standing in the water, has anybody ever fished around them? We also seen and chased some tarpon around last year but I got something for them this time. The weather kept us close to shore last year but we hope to peddle out and check out some artificial reefs this trip
TTTrrr3434

Re: Mexico Beach

Post by TTTrrr3434 »

I normally fish Blacks Island and launch out of Presnells Marina. I used to live there the problem with live bait or should I say not artificial is sharks. Tons of spinners and bonnet heads. I fished the artificial reefs some. The ones closer to shore get fished a lot.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Pig Island and Blacks Island areas both have great grass flats....have done well there with trout but reds have always been scarce for me in that bay.
zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by zeke392 »

We have caught 3 nice nurse shark from the beach but not much out of the kayaks. We looked for some of the closer reefs Wednesday but couldn't come up with anything. Some neighbors have caught some fish with popping corks off the sandbar but nothing like we have in the past. Surfs a little rough now but I'm fixing to go out and give it one last try. Thanks for the input
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Mexico Beach is a beautiful place for a little vacationing/fishing. If you get a chance, throw some early morning topwater in St Joseph's Bay across the street from stumphole. You shouldn't have to go too far unless there is a lot of floating grass. Like GoodCall said, around Pig Island and Black's Island is usually good for fish. Have fun!