First Aid Kits?

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SwampYaker
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

First Aid Kits?

Post by SwampYaker »

Hey guys I was wondering how many of yall bring them and if you do maybe you could tell what you have in yours and why?
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Aid Kits?

Post by jsuber »

I use the one from Walmart that's available for less than ten bucks. Then put it in the large red water proof Plano tackle box along with some dewalt dikes, to cut a hook barb, a knife, and some lidocaine that I use to numb the skin for removing hooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
CharlesDad
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by CharlesDad »

Numb the skin to remove the hooks from the fish or from yourself??? Why would you stick fish hooks in yourself??? Sounds a little bit kinky to me.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I generally carry a small first aid kit containing a few bandages, neosporin, gauze pads, tape, asprin and eye drops. The other thing I carry, and it is the most used of the bunch, is a Leatherman tool.

Something I've considered adding (I have it for my dog's first aid kit when I'm hunting) is EMT Gel. Sure, it is specifically for pets but it slows bleeding, reduces pain and protects the wound so I'm inclined to think I'd use it on a bad enough cut. OK, I'll admit it; I was raised on a farm in the foothills of the Appalacians and sometimes we see things a little different than others!
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

I have a small one in the yak, and a big one in the box in the back of the truck, which includes a flask of whiskey (used liberally after removing the hook)
EMT gel, if it is good enough for a prized hunting dog, it's good enough for you. :lol:
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

I fish with jean
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
soccerdad
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by soccerdad »

includes a flask of whiskey (used liberally after removing the hook)
Jameson's ??
"No politics, no religion, no problem on my boat."
-- Walt Widener
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

soccerdad wrote:
includes a flask of whiskey (used liberally after removing the hook)
Jameson's ??
Of course.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

It is important that a Fisherman have the proper First Aid kit, none of those blue or white boxes with red crosses on them. Here's mine:

BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Good american bourbon is never refused in my house and that stuff is better than good. Cheers! :A1
CharlesDad
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by CharlesDad »

I don't take a first aid kit but I do a couple of other tings. I take a Leatherman and a sharp knife and usually a towel. I also wear shoes, long trousers, long sleeve shirt and wide brim hat. Most important I break the barbs off all of my hooks.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Early in the FCKA Classic 3 years ago, I had paddled as hard as I could for 45 minutes into a stiff wind, and got out on an oyster bar to take a break on my back & shoulders. I was about 15 feet from my yak making a few casts and my Croc slipped off and the wind/current were quickly pulling it far away from me and I knew in only a few short moments that I would be left with only one Croc for the remainder of the tourney if I didn't act quickly (and becasue of the stiff wind, i knew I'd be on oyster bars periodically).

I started hopping on one foot, trying to quickly get back to my yak to chase down the Croc....and busted my arse right onto a bunch of sharp oysters. It wasn't so much the cuts I sustained on my feet and back side that ruined my day, but the 5/8" gash I discovered in my left wrist as I tried to break my fall. I'm extremely lucky it didn't cut a major artery or vein.

I managed to return to my feet and limp to my yak, pouring blood. I paddled with one arm and tracked down my Croc, somehow got onto a different oyster bar....and began searching for something to make a tourniquet. I had to settle for a paper towel and my emergency whistle's lanyard tied around it with a splash of hand sanitizer. At about 7:50 am, my tournament was over. I limp-paddled over to the nearest pullout and told Millertime to come pick me up when they were done fishing.

I learned a few things that day:
1) Always keep some sort of hand sanitizer with you on your yak
2) Never use Crocs on oyster bars on extremely windy days
3) Keep something to use for a compression wrap handy in the event that sort of thing ever happens

In my dry box, I now keep a self-adhering wrap/bandage thing that you might use to wrap a sprained ankle or something. Liek this: http://www.patientsleepsupplies.com/Cob ... OgodTzIAfA

And on windy days, I wear these instead of Crocs for safety reasons :D http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Top-Sider- ... B00792G9YS